Wednesday, August 8, 2012

He Loved Her - She Wanted A Love Poem


The following poem is from the section, "Love Hurts" of She Wanted A Love Poem, a collection of poems.


He Loved Her

I love you.
His fist connected
With her ribs.
Hairline fracture.

I love you.
The backside of his hand
Swiped across her cheek
As though shooing
A ten ton fly.
A swollen cheek.

I love you.
A kick to her abdomen
That would make
Any football fan proud.
Gooooaaaaaallllll!!!
Another miscarriage.

I love you.
He broke the broom stick
Across her back.
A welt and broken skin.

I love you.
His hands closing
Around her neck,
Tighter and tighter
'Til her vision was reduced
To stars and then blackness.
Death.

He loved her
To death.



To get your copy
of this collection
of poems,
click here.

2 comments:

Buddah Moskowitz said...

The juxtaposition of I love you and the violence is a perfect way to convey the dysfunctional dynamic of the abusive relationship. Creepy and effective. Well done.

Laurie Kolp said...

Although very disturbing, this reflects an all-too-common truth.

 
;