Monday, May 7, 2012

OMG, Poetry.com


Wow, over a week has since my last poem, I am so ashamed, LOL. Normally I would give and excuse, but in life excuses are too easy. I believe excuses should be relegated to when they are really needed. Instead one should, I should own up to my short comings. If I really wanted to get a poem up I would have moved mountains to get one up. So I am making a vow to you my loyal, lovely, divine readers to put up a post three times a week, even if it's not original poetry. I want you to know that I appreciate you and that will share with you my work, what I like on the poetry side, be it great blogs, spoken word artists or sites that will help you to share your work.

One site I came across was poetry.com. Somehow an email from them popped into my inbox and I was curious. So far, I've posted 3 poems, all of which were posted on this blog. My thoughts on it? I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. Yes it gets your work out there, but it requires so much from you.
  • For your poem to be listed, you have to register. It's easy if you want to register with your FaceBook account, but you have to be mindful of the boxes that are ticked as it will post on your Timeline (the dreaded Timeline). I don't know about you but I protect my FB profile like a lioness and her cub.
  • Also you have to review two (2) poems before your poem is listed. This is no problem, it's a give and take. The only thing is you can't choose the poem to review so it might not be the genre you like or willing to investigate. I sometimes check what other reviewers write if I just can't grasp the poem. This only happens when I just can't concentrate.
  • A great thing is once your poem is up, it is reviewed in a matter of a couple hours. I am grateful for that but then afterwards it's just there. So it's great if you want instant ego stroking, but if you want to grow a following, not so great.
  • I'm not crazy about the look, it looks too commercial for my taste. Hey we are talking about poetry here not McDonalds. I'm not sure about you but I like warm tones that invites the reader to settle in and read, not something that makes me want to run or stay long enough to get my work out there.
As I said, I don't hate it but I don't love it. It's a great way to get your work out there, I just have to get into the habit of putting my blog info in my entries. All in all, a good starting point and it would be interesting to see where it goes.

So tell me, what websites do you use to share your work? Also send me your sites so I can share with others who read this blog, cause sharing is caring.

No comments:

 
;