Monday, September 16, 2013

In Peace


"Sit with me," she said.
I looked down
To see a frail woman
Of advancing years
Sitting in a wheelchair.

Instead of sadness,
I saw joy in her eyes
That seem to twinkle
Like a reluctant star
In the morning sky.

Being from the kind
Of fold who heeded
The words of their elders,
I say beside her
Upon a rickety bench.

"Now tell me, " she began,
What is ailing you so much
That wrinkles appear between
Your eyes with the ease
Of a baby smiling at it's mama?"

An expression of shock
Must have flashed across my face
Because she just smiled
And patted my knee.
"Tell me, sugar," her voice like honey.

It was as though
I was waiting all my life
For this question, the words,
My words surged forward
Like a great wave.

When I was done,
The last of these words
Trickling out of my mouth,
I felt a measure of peace,
A weight removed.

"Now, see here," she began,
A serious expression on  her face,
"All you just said remains here
With me. You are not leaving
This place with them."

"Instead I want you to leave here
With that blossom of peace
You feel in your chest.
I want you to focus on it,
Water it until it fills up your life.

I started to speak
But she held up her hand,
"Nuh-uh, not a word,
You said your piece,
Now go in peace."

I got to my feet,
Lighter and happier,
I leaned over
And kissed her cheek,
My way of thanking her.

And I did what she instructed
I went in peace.


Submitted to imaginary garden with real toads and dVerse Poets

11 comments:

Debi Swim said...

What a lovely story. I'd love to met that wise old woman.

Abin Chakraborty said...

like a guardian angel...wonderful indeed.we all need a good confessional in times of stress I guess.

Steve King said...

A wonderful story--wise, superbly written. Fine work.

kaykuala said...

"Instead I want you to leave here
With that blossom of peace
You feel in your chest

Such beautiful words and such a realization! Wise words from someone who had gone through the grind! Nicely Kimorlisa!

Hank

Anonymous said...

grace conferred, and with grace, conveyed. ~ M

Kerry O'Connor said...

This is an object lesson in trust and the lines are filled with wisdom.

Buddah Moskowitz said...

So beautiful and wise. Loved this.

Sharp Little Pencil said...

Kimolisa, this one had me in tears. The grace of angels. That old woman, still taking on the burdens of others... maybe that's the reason her twinkle is so vital. She still has purpose in this world, even in her wheelchair. This was a BRILL poem. Thanks, Amy

Brian Miller said...

water it until it fills up your life...what a wise woman eh? excellent piece...

Dorianna (paintswithwords) said...

nice narrative, wise woman, undoubtedly sent by something divine to bring you piece

Margaret said...

"You said your piece,
Now go in peace.""

Oh. so very wonderful. I am finally getting around to visiting a few poems from this open link night (weeks ago) So sad a landed here.

 
;