Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Tell Me A Lie - She Wanted A Love Poem

The following poem is from the section, "Love Hurts" of She Wanted A Love Poem, a collection of poems.

Tell Me A Lie

Tell me a lie,
Let it skim
Against my skin,
Let it wrap me,
Snugly like
A blanket, tightly
Like a cocoon,
Until the truth
Come out and
Pierces my heart
With its serrated edge,
Trust bleeding out
Of the gaping wound.

Tell me a lie,
Let me savour it,
Taste its cunning
Mixture of salty and sweet.
Let me swallow
It down, consume it
In its entirety
Until it proves to be
Poison and I grow
Sick from it,
Sick of you.

Tell me a lie,
Let me play with it
Like a newly acquired
Puppy. Let me
Show it to friends,
Family, even strangers
Who show the slightest
Interest until it grows
Too big, too ill mannered,
To dangerous, too much
To handle, leaving you
Standing over my mauled
Ego.

Tell me the lie
I want to hear,
The lie you want to tell,
Let me live in
This artificial world
Constructed by the fine
Threads of the lie.
I hoping it's real,
You hoping nothing and
No one snaps a thread.

Tell me a lie
So a false sense
Of peace may descend
On us. We would
Breathe it's smog like quality,
Telling ourselves that
It smells like fresh air,
Believing it's a cool breeze
On a hot, humid day.

Tell me a lie,
Tell me you love me.


To get your copy
of this collection
of poems,
click here.

3 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh this is sad. Would that the person addressed could open their eyes and see the beauty of the person standing before them. Hopefully at least the narrator can see her own beauty!

Panchali said...

A touching piece. I don't know what to say, but, as you said, Lisa.. "No one snaps a thread..."-- Its true!...So often it's just a matter of mental toughness. The narrator displayed mind blowing toughness ..amazing!!

TCPC said...

Very touching, Often we yearn to live in blissful ignorance of facts that seemingly do not exist!

 
;