Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Soon



The coffee was black,
Darker than the night sky
And as bitter as 
A broken heart.

My heart was broken,
Shards still embedded 
In my chest and
I refused to remove them.

Somehow, the pain
Had become a knowing
Companion, a necessary
Friend who would listen
As I told my tale over
And over again.

When others grew tired
Of my ranting and raving
The pain would listen,
But soon even that
Started to fade into 
A dull ache.

So with a cup of
Black, bitter coffee
And a broken heart
On the mend, I sat
At my typewriter 
And started to 
Release the last of 
My pain.

With each strike
Of the key, 
The pain became one
With the words,
With the paper,
With everything
That was outside of me.

With each strike
Of the key,
I let the pain go,
Saying fairwell
To a friend who
Knew me well.

Soon the cup
Will be empty,
Soon my heart
Will be healed,
Soon the pain
Will be a distant memory,
And soon life
Will return to the
Thing we call normal.


Submitted to Hyde Park Poetry's Thursday Poets Rally.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Daaaaaaaaamn .... this is deep... the pain of refusing to remove the shards of pain.... awesome image...

Great work!

Buddah Moskowitz said...

I like that you are recognizing the need and utility of the pain, and finally discard it when you're ready to move on. A wise and knowing piece, Mosk

Anonymous said...

this is sad account.

blessing,
cheer up.

Alissa Meredith Jill Osborn Schapiro said...

deep dig in your emotional moments.

powerful write.

Anonymous said...

great senses made.

admirable delivery.

Anonymous said...

superb piece kimolisa.. keep it up! here's my rally.. https://fiveloaf.wordpress.com/2012/10/15/waters-of-spring/

Lexi Woods said...

extraordinary.

Abbey Michael Boyle Blount Fallin said...

your words are divine.

let them flow, giggles.

Anonymous said...

very reflective.

thanks for sharing!

Claim any awards from my post.
best.

Anonymous said...

Oh lovely! Great poem
Has a wonderful message about the therapeutic advantages of writing and it, in itself, is well written

Anonymous said...

perfect ten poem.

Anonymous said...

sharp, and brilliant.

Unknown said...

pains and joy come in handy on regular basis,

sharp write.

 
;