Sunday, April 14, 2013

Kimolisa In New York?


Actually, the answer is no. It will be a while before I return to the city that doesn't sleep, but I will be back.

Early last week I was at the bank and I saw the week long weather report for NYC and I remembered how one of my friends who lives in NYC would be annoyed when I would tweet how lovely the weather was down here in Antigua. So I decided to tweet how great the weather was there. A little twist on what I normally do, then my imagination got stoked.

I tweeted my indecision of which park to go to - Central Park or Prospect Park. Then my decision of Prospect Park. Out of nowhere my imagination created this story of what I would do next. Or better, what I would tweet next.

A kernel of an idea formed, why not create a fictional character and use social media to follow her story, primarily twitter and a blog. What I found fascinating about the idea is through my imagination I could be anywhere in the world, and through this character I would be making decisions that would be in line with my values or go against them.

I would definitely have to run through the idea completely and develop the platforms but so far I've learned a few things:
  1. You Can Be Anywhere - For a day, okay more like an hour or two, I was in NYC. It made me question if we really need to visit a place, especially a place that is so publicized as NYC to have an experience there. There are so many pics and videos, not to mention books and articles that to be there in person is only required when you need to feel the energy of the place.
  2. You Can Be Anywhere Part II - Anyone following me on Twitter or FaceBook would really think I'm in NYC. There are two reasons why - 1. Why would I lie about being NYC if I wasn't in NYC, 2. I said I was in NYC. Then again, I was in NYC, I just have to say I was in NYC in my mind.
  3. I Discovered I Really Didn't Want To Live in NYC - Yes I want to return and visit but in my fantasy, I wanted to visit friends and then see the US. First I was going to drive a car then I thought of leaving on a bus and having an adventure in all the 50 states and some Canadian cities. It makes sense, I like to travel, I don't like to stay in one place for the whole trip. I like movement.
  4. It Made Me Question What I Really Wanted - I grew up watching a lot of TV and reading a lot of magazines and through those media, NYC looked like the place to be. And I guess I believed that that NYC was right around the corner from the NYC I knew. The truth was it was a hybrid of both NYC's. I wanted experiences but I didn't know what type of experiences so I ended up with those I didn't like or wasn't crazy about. Don't get me wrong, I love my friends in NYC, but I feel as if I was holding back and not running madly into life. Instead I was waiting for it to come to me. But what do I really want? I want to come alive, love hard, hurt hard, get bruised and get up again. Sad that it took me so long to discover that.
 Anyway, I will be keeping you up to date with the idea as I massage it into existence. I already have the bones of the character's back story and a little of what she will be encountering in the future. It's crazy but I'm looking forward to it and as the ever delightful Tanya Evanson said, "Don't not do it."

Oh and before I forget, I've gotten over the writing block, unfortunately or fortunately the poems are a bit more gritty and can veer into sexual. I'm not sure if I want to just get it out of my system or explore it and have it all out of my system completely. Time will tell.

1 comment:

Steve Finnell said...

you are invited to follow my blog

 
;