Thursday, February 19, 2009

Mom

T'was many years
Since I walked the earth,
If you call what I do,
Walking.
My physical being
Is now nothing,
Ashes.
What do they say?
Why, yes,
"Ashes to ashes,
Dust to dust.

Well, now,
I just make my way
Through this world.
This world
I saw evolve,
With machines that scream
And people who talk to
Themselves.

Where I'm going?
Nowhere in particular.
From where I'm coming?
Don't really know.
But wait!
What's this I hear?!?
A scream!
A woman's scream!

How could I hear her
So loudly in all this
Modern din.
And yet it beckons me,
So I ran,
If you call this running.
And ran till I stopped
At a building
Where life and death reside.

I followed the screams.
The doctors did not stop me,
Neither the nurses,
Nor the portly security guard
Watching everyone
And everything,
But not seeing me.

Through the door I went
Without opening,
And there, wreathing in pain,
She lay.
Mother.
Mama.
Maman.
Madre.
My single thought.

Then nothing.
Blackness.
Wetness.
I sensed them,
(But how when I have no body?)
Then I was pushed,
By what?
I don't know.

Light shot to my retina,
But I have no retina.
Cold air chilled my skin,
But I have no skin.
Air filled my lungs,
But I have no lungs.
Then I saw her.
Mother.
Mama.
Maman.
Madre.
Mom.

All was forgotten,
All meant nothing.
Unearned love washed
Over every inch of my .....
My new physical being.
I wanted nothing
But the love of
Mother,
Mama,
Maman,
Madre,
Mom!

No comments:

 
;