Sunday, September 20, 2015

Bad Writer 5

"This is Leslie, what can I do for you?" I pop my gum in the ear of the unfortunate American who got me as their customer service representative. "Eh, speak up, I can't hear you," I do my best interpretation of their accent. "Looking at your account, you've met your call threshold.... Did I stutter? ....... Oh, you want to speak to my boss, please hold."

Oops, I disconnect the call. Oh well, the caller probably ran out of credit on that number.

"Leslie." I turn around to see the shift manager standing over me.

"Yeah," I take extra effort to mimic the cows that graze on the side of the road. I don't believe chewing gum on the job is a good idea in the eyes of the higher ups.

"I want to see you at the end of the shift," his eyes watching the gum being chomped on just beyond my blue lipstick. It must be catching because in his eyes I see disappointment. It is as clear as the water down at Ffryes Bay on a hot summer day. God, people are so transparent.

"Aight, boss man," I say, turning back to my console, effectively dismissing my superior.

He doesn't move for a while. Probably trying to think up some soul-jerking barb to show his power. When I hear him walk away I know he lost this little battle but I know he will be waiting for me at the end of the shift. He still has three hours to think up something.

"You alright?" Annette all but whispers at me.

"I'm good," I say before accepting another call. "In fact, I'm only getting better." Or should I say worst.

'til next Sunday. 
Click here to read the first installment.

No comments:

 
;