Monday, July 29, 2013

Talk

I stumbled into him,
Losing my balance,
My world, upside down
For what was but
A moment but felt
Like an eternity.

In that moment,
That forever moment,
He caught her, sparing
Me bruises and cuts,
Cuts and bruises,
Setting me upright again.

I was embarassed,
I was shy,
I had two left feet
And two hands of thumbs,
Yet, through all of that,
He smiled.

Not a sympathetic smile,
One that was drenched
With pity for the
Poor, little creature
That stood before him.

It was a smile
That was sweet like
A just ripe plum
That had just lost
Its tartness.

It was a curious smile
That wanted to know more
About the creature
That stood before him.

Because of that smile,
I smiled.
Because of my smile,
He spoke.
Because he spoke,
We talked.

We talked that day
And the day after.
Ten years later,
We were still talking.
Twenty, thirty,
Forty years later,
We were still talking.

Then one day came when
We could no longer talk.
A silence descended around me
As I took my last breath.
And as the world melted away,
I heard him whisper.

"I love you, and
We will talk again."


Submitted to imaginary garden with real toads and dVerse Poets

6 comments:

Buddah Moskowitz said...

This is poignant and beautiful - I like how you shift from first person to third person - like we are watching yourself.
I loved how this ended.

Brian Miller said...

ah, as beautiful as the notebook...i love a love that lasts...even beyond this life...a smile like a plum that just lost its tartness is cool too...

Laurie Kolp said...

I guess both must be willing to work towards talking again.

Waltermarks said...

Wow, that is a total tally, powerful love story, love this! Thanks,

Unknown said...

Beautiful love story...

Katie Mia Frederick said...

It sounds like the ending to a perfect love story; if only many ended that way...life would certainly be a more beautiful place..lovely words love your friend!

 
;