Monday, July 12, 2010

Jackie In The Box

Alarm
Rise
Bathe
Dress
Commute
Work
Commute
Veg out
Sleep
Repeat.

Soon the days
Faded into each other.
I knew time was passing
As the seasons changed
From freezing winters
To scorching summers.

I would lose days,
Not remembering
What I did on those days
As the activities
Were so forgetable.
But I remember
The day we met,
And every day that followed.

I remember
The days we escaped
From our lives,
Playing hooky from work
And going to the beach
Or to the slopes.
Alone in the conspiracy
To break the rules.

I remember
Drifting to sleep
On the roof of
My apartment building
As you strummed your guitar,
Making up songs
As you stared out
At the city falling asleep
Below us.

I remember
Packing up your brother’s jalopy
And driving cross country,
Sleeping in the back
On blankets bought in a country store
When our eyes got tired of
Staring at the road.

I remember
Running through fields,
Skinny dipping in lakes,
Sleeping in each other’s arms,
And not wanting to return
To the life
I used to live.

I remember
Us getting married
As an Elvis impersonator
Swung his hips
And crooned about love.
We exchanged rings
We bought in a novelty store.
Big and garish
That puts goofy grins
On our faces
Every time we looked at them.

I remember
A lifetime of memories
And today,
I ask you
To create another lifetime
Of memories with me.

Alarm
Rise
Love
Love
Love.

No comments:

 
;